The Delta School district now has three unique Golf Academy Programs. The first program was established in the North end through Seaquam Secondary and has recently developed a new relationship with Mayfair Lakes Golf Club. The second program was developed to accommodate all of the student golfers from South Delta Secondary School and worked to collaborate and continue the long history of success with strong junior golf at Beach Grove Golf Club. The third Golf Academy has been launched to make golf in school more accessible as we were turning students away every year because of limited space. In hopes to give opportunity to those students and to specifically serve the Ladner area, we are making Delta Secondary School the home of our third Golf Academy where we will meet for fitness and practice planning in the morning and then travel to Mayfair Lakes for Golf instruction. All three programs are organized by our Delta School District Teacher Coordinator Bryce Hamade, in conjunction with Beach Grove Golf Club or Mayfair Lakes Golf Academy coaches. The Golf Academies take students of all abilities and will work with them to learn and improve the skills necessary to lower their scoring potential and enjoy competitive golf. Every second day students are picked up in the morning or at lunch by school transportation and driven to either Beach Grove Golf Club or Mayfair Lakes Golf and Country Club. During that time students will learn and practice golf for two blocks during the school day for full course credits! Please note that the golf programs only have space for 15 students each.
DELTA SECONDARY & MAYFAIR LAKES – Gr. 8 – 12 Males & Females
Instruction will be directed by PGA of Canada Coach Keri Moffat and facilitated by the Academy Coaches at Mayfair Lakes. This academy meets the needs of golfers from beginner to elite. The academy includes a 12 month junior membership at Mayfair Lakes Golf and Country Club and driving range balls everyday they are able to practice. Elite players may be eligible to participate in three tournaments as part of the Academy Team which will include one-on-one coaching preparation. This program is overseen by Teacher Coordinator Bryce Hamade. (2 block program every other morning).
SEAQUAM & MAYFAIR LAKES – Gr. 8 – 12 Males & Females
Coached by PGA of Canada Coaches Keri Moffat and Shingo Akizuki. This academy meets the needs of golfers from beginner to elite. The academy includes a 12 month junior membership at Mayfair Lakes Golf and Country Club and driving range balls everyday they are able to practice. Elite players may be eligible to participate in three tournaments as part of the Academy Team which will include one-on-one coaching preparation. This program is overseen by Teacher Coordinator Bryce Hamade. (2 block program every other afternoon).
SOUTH DELTA SECONDARY & BEACH GROVE GOLF CLUB – Gr. 8 – 12 Males & Females
Coached by PGA of Canada Coaches Brent Derrheim, Jordan Rodda and Taylor Kim. This academy meets the needs of golfers from beginner to elite. The academy includes a 12 month junior membership plus unlimited range balls during academy sessions. Elite players may be eligible to participate in three tournaments as part of the Academy Team which will include one-on-one coaching preparation. This program is overseen by Teacher Coordinator Bryce Hamade. (2 block program every other afternoon).
Golf Academy Goals
The golf academy is designed to provide students greater choices in meeting their learning goals and graduation requirements while offering the opportunity to develop and refine their golf related skills. The academy will offer student athletes a high performance golf program that gives them the opportunity to develop their potential and total game including: technique, golf course management, competition, physical fitness, and mental conditioning.
Students in the golf academy will:
- Receive high quality golf instruction by certified CPGA teaching professionals
- Continue to develop their potential and total game skills
- Learn the rules and etiquette of golf
- Receive high quality, golf specific, physical and mental training by certified trainers
- Continue to develop their personal golf and fitness levels
- Learn about sports nutrition and mental preparation for competition
- Network with golf professionals to achieve university scholarships
5946 12 Ave
Phone: (604) 943-1155
Facts about the Program
- This academy is open to male and female students in Grades 8 – 12
- The Golf Academy is two blocks, back to back, every other afternoon (Seaquam Golf Academy currently runs every DAY 2 and Beach Grove Golf Academy runs every DAY 1)
- Students receive credit for PE at the appropriate grade and Superfit 10 -12
- Students earn 8 credits per year toward graduation (Grade 10 -12)
- Bell schedules are similar at each secondary school in Delta; lunchtime provides time for students to move between schools to attend an academy at another school.
- The Beach Grove Golf Academy hosts our Delta Secondary and South Delta Secondary students.
- The Mayfair Lakes Golf Academy hosts students from all North End Secondary Schools. Students may choose to attend their home school and use Academy transportation or they can apply to attend Seaquam Secondary part or full-time in order to participate in the Seaquam Golf Academy.
Starting September, 2020 transportation fees of $30/month will be assessed to all students.
Golf – Students will have a membership at Mayfair Lakes G&CC or Beach Grove Golf Club.
Fitness – Seaquam Secondary (Small Gym and Weight Room) & DMEC (Muscle Memory)
Seaquam Regular Bell Schedule
The Delta Secondary Golf Academy is during periods 1 and 2 and the Seaquam Academy is during periods 3 and 4 on Day 2’s. The South Delta Secondary Academy is during 3 and 4 on Day 1’s. These blocks occur every other morning or afternoon.
|Period 1||8:30 – 9:50 am|
|Period 2||9:55 – 11:15 am|
|Lunch||11:15 – 12:00 am|
|Period 3||12:00 – 1:20 pm|
|Period 4||1:25 – 2:43 pm|
Seaquam Collaboration Dates:September 9, 23 October 6, 20 November 7, 21 December 4, 18 January 8, 22 February 5, 19 March 4 April 8, 22 May 6, 20 June 3
Collaborative Time – Teachers only 8:30 – 9:30 am
|Period 1||9:35 – 10:40 am|
|Period 2||10:45 – 11:50 am|
|Lunch||11:50 – 12:30 am|
|Period 3||12:30 – 1:35 pm|
|Period 4||1:40 – 2:45 pm|
Equipment and Supplies
Students are supplied with a Golf shirt and jacket.
Students must supply their own golf clubs and shoes.
The Delta School District provides bus transportation to and from the golf course and driving range.